Friday, July 6, 2012

going once, going twice

He said something to me that night:
If you keep doing this, you will die.
Make no mistake. He meant it.
Didn't know I am immortal.
Fatalities have followed me for years
(but fail always). You couldn't guess from looking.
It's hard to tell. Anyway.
He met my shaky gaze and grasped my elbows,
Hard. And he said:
If you keep doing this, you are going to die.
He even cried. And quickly it started getting tricky.
It was difficult, because I love him.
Problem was, I missed the Dead End sign
somewhere in the streets behind me. Dunno where.
Problem was, there was no problem. Problem was,
who knew the way things used to be back then,
in that time when things were clear? By that night,
I'd learned a thing or two. And I couldn't feel my face.
My fingers and toes were going, were gone.
Twitching came on without reason, stayed
boy lolled, not knowing anything,
swayed back and was revived with water,
Melting salt. It was hard that night
Working out where the line was,
and it'd already been crossed anyway. But nothing wrong.
Really. Still. He called an ambulance.Held my neck
He was white and crying, His weakness rankled,
but anyway, I let him save me.
I didn't die there in his arms. I owed him that.

Tonight he called again and I remembered
my heart large and strange
It occurred to me what i might mean
To go too far, and I understood
It's not as easy as I'd thought,
the coming back
He called to tonight to tell me
he had forgotten what the stars look like
and I hung up and I cried a little.
Because I hadn't forgotten.
I hadn't forgotten
I hadn't forgotten at all.

No comments: